Tuesday, May 11, 2010

the change continued...

continued from the post below...


I had gone to Texas A&M with every intention of participating in a very popular idea: the typical college experience. I had always been a rule-follower and I saw this as my chance to “live a little”, or so they say. It was never in my plan to join a Christian sorority, and yet in that moment during that first meeting, I began to understand that my college experience was not going to look at all like I’d thought and there was nothing I could do about it. 
As the evening and weeks progressed, I began to grow familiar with ASC, but it all still felt very foreign to me. The language these girls used sounded strange, the fact that they were always so sweet and loving threw me off, and I couldn’t figure out why they cared about getting to know me at all. But one thing I was sure of: there was a passion and quality about their lives that was unlike anything I had ever been around, and I wanted my life to be the same.  
I know now, as I learned then, that what I was seeing in their lives that I was so attracted to was the transformative power that comes from knowing Jesus. These girls were confident and loving not because of some innate ability to be that way, but rather because the Gospel had moved in their lives and allowed their minds to be transformed. The book of Romans commands this of us, instructing us to not be conformed to the world, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. As I walked with and observed the lives of these women that had been placed around me, I grew more and more encouraged and began to feel safe for the first time in my life. 
In the Lord’s gracious providence, He placed me in a small group that year made up of entirely juniors and seniors. My sweet friend, Emily, and I were the only freshmen in the group and over the course of that first year those women taught me what it looked like to walk daily in pursuit of knowing Christ better. He went from being someone I believed in but didn’t really know to being the song that I was singing in life. Through study of Scripture, times of prayer, serving together, and a great amount of encouragement, I began to understand what it meant to know Jesus and it changed my life.
The Lord continued to move in my heart and mind for four years and minister to me through the organization of Aggie Sisters for Christ in numerous ways, but one of the sweetest nights and memories is that first night. It was the night of changed assumptions. It was the night of a path being set. It was the night of the change.