Tuesday, August 31, 2010

old fashioned letters.


There's just something about it. You go to the mailbox, open the door, and see it laying there. A letter. Perhaps it has a fun stamp, someone's handwriting in a distinct pen, and maybe a fun return address stamp or something. It was written out of love or thoughtfulness or care or all three. Someone took the time to write out their thoughts and encouragement and send it your way like a surprise. There is just something so magical about that. So rich and meaningful.

I received a letter in the mail today. A card really, but it had the writing inside to make it seem like a letter. My sweet friend, Kari, sent me a thank you card for some things I gave her before her wedding. And rather than write the necessary thank you's and move on, she really took her time and wrote down a few thoughts, person-specific encouragement, and very un-canned responses. And it meant so much to me.  

Consider this: 

Sir, more than kisses, letters mingle souls; 
for, thus friends absent speak.  ~John Donne

Kari and I haven't been able to see each other in a few months because of her wedding and all the transition that follows that, and yet today I felt closer to her than I have in a long while. The power of the letter, the written word, is immense and is a power we often neglect. Perhaps it is this power, this enduring quality that the written word holds, that allowed God to choose it as the form in which He left us His Truth. In fact, much of the New Testament is written in this very form: the letter.  

In many of his letters included in scripture, Paul begins in the very way that our own letters often appear. He encouraged its recipient. 

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always offering prayer with 
joy in my every prayer for you all." -Philippians 1:3-4 

"We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
praying always for you..." -Colossians 1:3

"We give thanks to God always for all of you, making mention of you 
in our prayers..." -1 Thessalonians 1:2

"We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brethren, as is only fitting, because 
your faith is greatly enlarged, and the love of each one of you toward 
one another grows ever greater..." -2 Thessalonians 1:3

May we continue this practice of writing letters to one another. In this digital culture of emails and text messages and Facebook and even blogs, it is my hope that we continue to put pen to paper and reach out to one another in an old fashioned way. There is no sweeter surprise or greater encouragement than finding a letter in the mailbox written just for you by someone you love.

1 comment:

Clint Gunter said...

This is a great post. I remember having many of the same thoughts some time ago as I perused a collection of the letters of C.S. Lewis. This is a lost art, which is a shame because it is easier to send letters than ever. Digital letters can be thoughtful, however, but most aren't because people tend to make it as quick as possible. I have many friends who don't even sign the bottom of emails. (And don't even get me started with text-speak!)