Thursday, November 22, 2012

the attempt.


Well, it has been about 6 months since my last blog post and after scanning back over my blog as a whole, I recognize the great sporadic-ness with which I write. This is about to change. 

I had coffee with my wonderful friend Steve this week and he has challenged me to write more and more regularly. I have committed to him to try and write 2 blogs a week, and he the same, and we will help hold one another accountable to this. I’m feeling rather shaky about my ability to hold down my end of this deal, but I’m going to do my very best to make the most concerted effort I can. 

For me, writing has always been a whimsy thing. I am not disciplined, not structured, and am on no real schedule. It has purely been something that I have used as a creative outlet when I needed a place to express myself. But what I’m finding and what I hear from friends who are real writers, like Steve, is that if you are serious about writing it can’t just be on a whim. If that’s how you write, you’ll never get any better and you won’t be able to pursue writing on any sort of grander scale.  

Blogs are great and a wonderful avenue to express our feelings and thoughts in a public way, but I have always had hopes of writing on a bigger scale. I would love to write a book or do some sort of writing that could be published. That is going to take discipline though and so here is my attempt at moving in that direction. This is my effort to see what happens, both internally and in my writing, if I begin to make it a habit of sorts. 

This is my attempt. Feel free to hold me accountable. 

No comments: