Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Don't get 'Lost' in the 'Fringe' and be sure to study 'Grey's Anatomy' before going into 'Private Practice'....

This post is to shamelessly plug the television shows that I love. If you've known me long at all, I'm sure I've initiated some form of conversation with you regarding pop culture, more specifically television shows. I love pop culture. I really do. And always have.

I have very clear memories and nostalgic feelings related to the movies and television shows I watched as a kid. I think it had something to do with the fact that my uncle worked for a video distribution company and we were constantly getting HUGE shipments of all these movies. Literally, movies overflowed out of our "playroom" when I was younger. And I, the young impressionable child, was forever addicted to the medium of the talkies, both the big and small screen versions.
I like this idea of a list because it allows for multiple posts. This post will be dedicated to the current television shows I love. Posts to come: back-in-the-day favorite shows, current favorite movies, and back-in-the-day favorite movies.
*Disclaimer: These are not in any particular order. I just can't decide which I like better.
LOST



















One word: ridiculous. This show is incredible. It's like watching a giant puzzle be put together while you're all the while trying to guess the next move. The theological overtones are so fun to think through, the character development is smart and thorough, and the plotline is always surprising. Excellence, folks.

Grey's Anatomy
















While I can't say that I'm very fond of the moral road taken by most of the characters on this show, I will say that their character development is equally excellent. I also have to give props to GA for the vast array of surprising medical knowledge I've acquired. I'll never forget the day my sweet labor & delivery nurse friend, Meredith (see previous post), was shocked by the fact that I knew what 'pushing rounds of epi' meant. Shocked. She was even more shocked to find out that I'd learned it from a TV show. Who says you can't learn anything from television?

American Idol



















I've been a faithful follower of this show since season 4, the season in which Carrie Underwood ruled the stage. I think I was officially hooked the night she belted out 'Alone' by Heart like it was no big deal and absolutely NAILED every note. I thought to myself, "Oh okay, these people are serious." I'm pretty sure I re-watched that performance about 127 times. Ever since, I'm pretty much an AI trivia machine. Go ahead...try to stump me...
Private Practice



















The only reason I watch this show is because Addison, played by Kate Walsh, was my favorite character on Grey's Anatomy (see above). When she left to have her own show, pulling a Seinfeld, I had to follow. Watching the character of Addison makes me want to be very, very good at my job. The girl straight up dominates the neo-natal scene. It's very fun watching a woman have utter authority in her profession and owning every second of it...or at least pretending to on screen...

24

















It is all about Jack Bauer. You're in a burning bus. Who do you want around? Jack Bauer. You're being held hostage. Who do you want scouting the situation? Jack Bauer. Terrorists are attacking. Who do you want in charge? Jack. Bauer. The man is unstoppable and it is oh-so-fun to watch!

Fringe




















This is my newest favorite. I really didn't get into it until this summer (thank goodness for Hulu!) and was absolutely sold after about 3 episodes. Creepy weird parapsychology mixed with cute Joshua Jackson...who doesn't want to watch that?!

So You Think You Can Dance


















Now that everyone else if finally beginning to understand the brilliance of this show (it's won 2 Emmy's!), it has been moved from the summer line-up to the fall, essentially becoming Fox's fall version of American Idol. The dancers are absolutely phenomenal and the choreography is out of this world. Seriously. It will blow you away. This past season saw the triumph of Jeanine, with my favorite Brandon taking second. We saw issues such as breast cancer and addiction addressed. 2 more Emmy awards...mark my words. And Cat Deeley, the host, makes Ryan Seacrest look like an awkward schoolboy. Her genuine connection with the dancers is so endearing and very pleasant to watch.
Those are some of my current favorites. What do you love?

1 comment:

D.O. said...

Dang... you weren't kidding.

Lost is supreme. No television show has ever reached the degree of epic-ness that Lost has. Not even close.

I also love Idol and SYTYCD. I love watching people who are excellent at something do whatever it is they excel at. These shows allow for it to happen in an hour's time.

I'll save my thoughts on the rest of your shows for another time.