Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Favorites

Continuing on with the lists of favorites, this is the list of my all-time favorite movies. Let's just dive in...


I first saw this movie when I was about 12 years old. I was laying in the floor of our living room and I remember absolutely falling in love with it. I loved how they talked, I loved how funny it was, and I loved seeing the relationships built between the women. This movie such an honest portrayal of female relationships, as well as including just about every emotion imaginable. I will tell you that it's not much fun to watch this movie with me, as I quote all the lines along with the characters. Just a fair warning. I also found out in college that my roommate's grandmother was the real life version of one of the characters, as this was written based on a true story. Unreal.

I remember the day we got this movie. My uncle sent it to my mom for her birthday and my love affair with 'The Sound of Music' began. This movie is a classic, recently being named in the top 10 of the American Film Institute's Top 100 movies. There is singing and dancing set to the historical backdrop of WW2. If you know me at all, you know why that is the perfect movie for me.

I saw this movie on a whim with my mom in the theater and proceeded to return two more times following to see it again. It is a magical experience. Baz Luhrmann's direction is impeccable and Nicole Kidman shines in this modern musical. I'm still upset she didn't win the Oscar she was nominated for in this movie. She deserved it. I love the movie's tag line: "The greatest thing is just to love and be loved in return." Beautiful.

Seriously, what twenty-something girl doesn't LOVE 'Anne of Green Gables'? We all love this movie. I think it has alot to do with Gilbert Blythe and the love story between he and Anne. It's a classic one. I just love the wholesome nature of this film, the high value placed on friendship, and the high-spirited personality of Anne. It also helped me on a college English exam since I memorized 'The Lady of Shalot' after watching this movie over and over.

One thing is for certain: Sandra Bullock has the ability to make me laugh at any given moment during any possible mood. She's hilarious and this film is the quintessential example of her hilarity. No female does physical comedy like Sandy. She is fearless in her willingness to make a fool of herself for the sake of a laugh and I love her for that. This movie will forever make me want to start chanting, "You think I'm gorgeous. You want to date me, love me, and marry me..."

I.LOVE.THIS.MOVIE. Simple as that. Meg and Tom are a classic coupling and the real darling of this film is New York City. It is absolutely impossible to not want to visit after you see this visit. Essentially, this movie is a love letter to the city that America is known for. That mixed with the oh-so-delightful chemistry of Tom and Meg makes for one extremely pleasant and warm movie experience.

"You can't handle the TRUTH!!!!!" I mean who doesn't know that line. That's a great line. With a great cast, a great director, and great writing, 'A Few Good Men' is a classic American film. This is easily my favorite film of Tom Cruise's. He take on Daniel Caffey is pitch-perfect and the supporting cast around him of the brilliant Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore, Kevin Bacon, and Keiffer Sutherland creates a cast that is absolutely fantastic. The legal maneuvering exhibited is extremely entertaining to watch as well as the interactions amongst Cruise and Moore.

There you have it. My all-time faves. There are quite a few more that would serve as runner's up, but this is the winning list. What are your favorites?

No comments: