Friday, August 7, 2009

Something New, Something Different...





My dear, sweet friend Meredith informed me yesterday that when I would start writing about something other than books, she might start reading my blog. Now, if you know Mer at all, you know she hasn't got one malicious bone in her body, and that she was quite obviously joking because of the following reason. She's not a fan of reading, much preferring to do anything and everything related to engaging with people as opposed to sitting quietly engrossed in paper with words on it. Because of this, reading a bunch of blog posts about books, regardless of how much she loves her friend, is about as fun as having, oh, a root canal or something. Therefore, in an effort to both a) attract more readers and b) break up the repitition of the book reviews, I've decided to do something new, something different. Mer, this post is for you, girl. No book talk in sight.

The beauty of doing book reviews is that it allows me to think creatively in how to craft the sentences without having to actually generate creative ideas. Because my life for the last 3 months or so has been a great deal of monotony and boring routine, I struggle to find any life events that are really very blog-worthy, if you will. So, I decided to make a list. Lists are fun. Lists allow for the witty.

Here goes. List numero uno. (See Mer, I know a little, or un piquito, of spanish...)

Top 10 Places I Want to Travel to Now That I Am No Longer A Student...

10. Nashville
If you have ever had a conversation with me regarding future life plans, you know that this is where my heart is. The only reason it's number 10 is because I've been many times and it will remain a constant on the list, no matter how many times I go. I'm always asked, "Why Nashville?" and "What's so special about Nashville?". My answer: I have no idea. It just feels like home to me.

9. Greece
This is for 2 reasons: the food and the white washed houses on the cliffs. I mean, seriously. Who doesn't want to eat some awesome lamb while overlooking the beautiful Mediterranean from one of those white-washed restaurants?! This girl most certainly does.

8. Ireland
The movie P.S. I Love You is to blame for this one. The panoramic shots in that movie of the beautiful Irish countryside were so breathtaking that I cried during the movie. I want to go there, go to one of the pubs, get a glass of Guinness (although I probably won't like it, but hey! you're in Ireland!), and take alot of pictures. And maybe learn the accent...

7. Jerusalem
Quite simply, I want to see it. I want to see all the places that I've spent years studying and reading about. I want to understand the significance of things to a more fundamental level by seeing these places with my own eyes. I want to see the garden, I want to see the road He carried the cross down...I want to see it.

6. London
London, baby!! Many things here are appealing in the land across the pond. I want to have English tea, go see if I can find Diagon Alley because I'm sure the Harry Potter people really do exist, go to Notting Hill and take my picture with the scenes from the movie, see Buckingham Palace, Big Ben...the list could go on. I've heard London's awesome.

5. Milan
I have roots in Italy (laugh it up, Mer :) ) and would love to see the Motherland. I'm jealous because my sister has already been on a tour of Italy and I've yet to place on toe in the place. I don't know why Milan first...I kinda want to see all the fashion stuff too...

4. Austria
"The hills are alive with the sound of music...." The Sound of Music tour. Easily one the things I want to do most right now. I was just telling my mom the other day that I remember the day she got "The Sound of Music" in the mail as a gift from my uncle. I think I might have been 5 or 6. No lie, ever since then, my love of that movie has remained a constant. There were many days in college spent studying to the backdrop of Julie Andrews singing "Doe, a deer, a female deer, Ray, a drop of golden sun..." I just want to be there and soak it all in. And I also want to see WW2 spots, but more on that later.

3. St. John
I will say that I have already been to the number 3 spot, but it was that wonderful to be named again on the list. I was 13 the last time I went and I think now at 25 I would have a much greater appreciation for the relaxation potential encapsulated in that tiny island. And you won't find better seafood. I mean, whoa! It is right outta the water good. The freshness of the fish mixed with the bursts of flavor in the fruit make for an unmatched combo.

2. New York City
I literally could go on and on and on and on.....about all the reasons why I want to visit this fantastic city. I feel like I've been there already since NYC has become a character in and of itself in pop culture. I want to go see musicals on Broadway and be moved to tears, go eat at restaurants by Bobby Flay and Gordon Ramsay, visit places that were in movies like 'You've Got Mail', '2 Weeks Notice', and 'Sleepless in Seattle,' go to the Empire State Building, Ellis Island, the Twin Towers Memorial. The list could continue. I've heard NYC is a magical place unlike anywhere else and I can't wait to experience it for myself.

And now, for the #1 spot, the spot that if someone just gave me money and said "Go anywhere" I would choose.....

1. Amsterdam
If you read my previous post or if you know me well, you know of my life-long fascination with the Holocaust, most specifically the Frank family and the Secret Annex in Amsterdam. The Frank family, the Van Pels family , and Fritz Pfeffer all hid in an attic of Otto Frank's office building in Amsterdam. That attic has been turned into a museum, containing memorabilia from the Frank family and still boasting Anne's original wall hangings of all her favorite film stars of the time. Ever since I was a little girl, I have wanted to see these small crowded rooms in person. One day I'll go and see it. And I might buy some wooden shoes. And some pretty tulips. Holland's famous for them and they're my favorite!

There you have it. My top ten. Just thinking about all these places makes me anxious to travel. Soon and very soon.

So I'm curious. What are your top 10?

7 comments:

Sum said...

Out of your list, I have been to London, New York and Greece. I vote save up for Greece first. it is so amazing!!!!!!! It will not disappoint.

Jessica said...

thanks for the tip, girl! i need help narrowing it down!! :)

meredith ziafat said...

okay, so i LOVE the post and HATE the picture AND the fact that i don't like to read...at least i like to put forth the IMPRESSION that i am well read!! now the whole blogging world will know my little secret! :)

love you, jess, and would love to travel to your top ten with you!!

Jessica said...

your dislike of reading does not necessitate the assumption that you aren't well read, because you are actually very well read, my friend!!

and it would be a blast to travel with you!! let's make it happen. love you, mer!

D.O. said...

Considering your great interest in the Holocaust, may I recommend adding Washington DC to your list. (They've a museum for that, after all.) Or, just give it a few days on your NYC trip. They're close.

And, if you need a guide on that trip, I'll oblige. I never really turn down an opportunity to visit the City.

Jessica said...

thanks for the tip, D.O.!! i've heard the D.C. trip is incredible.

and yes, when i plan the trip i'll be sure to let you know. maybe we can get a big group of people to go...so fun!

paulmgo said...

You are missing South Africa and New Zealand. Those need to be up there, at least.