Thursday, August 13, 2009

Perils of the Job Search



Well folks, the perils of the job search continue. I must admit that either hearing 'no' or actually never hearing back from anyone at all has left me feeling a bit like this little girl: upset, crying, and in general wondering what's going on.

Now, I understand that I'm trying to find a new job at something that I'm new at in some of the worst economic times in recent history, perhaps in my own lifetime. I get that. Many people have felt it necessary to remind me of this fact. But, let me just say this: it's not really that comforting. Why is that, do you ask? Because peeps won't even call me back. Because of this, my lack of new job status can't be about me blowing an interview, offending the interviewer, or royally putting my foot in my mouth. I haven't even been given the chance to do any of those things and I'm still without a job with the word 'counselor' or 'therapist' in the title. And all this because of the stupid economy? Not comforting.

Did that sound a little bitter? I do apologize. I don't mean to be. I'm just blowing off a little steam. It was just this morning that yet another position that I applied for was filled. A position that I applied for, followed up regarding, and yet never even spoke to an actual person about. The little robotic lady at their HR number and I had fun little conversations, but at the end of the day, she's not the one giving out the jobs.

I do trust that one day the Lord will provide a job in the field that I attended school for, but until that day, maybe I'll go learn how to be a scuba instructor or something...

7 comments:

Sum said...

job searching is the worst. I'm sorry luvie! I'll keep my ears open at my counseling center, if you're willing to drive to Arlington!

Jessica said...

yes! i'll take any help i can get!

meredith ziafat said...

here's my lead: my scuba instructor's name was Jon M. Piepkorn. he's on facebook. in fact, today is his birthday...

there you go. now not only am i your friend who doesn't read, but now i'm suggesting you forget counseling, move to fiji, and take up scuba diving :)

meredith ziafat said...

oh, and he's single...

Jessica said...

bahahahaha...mer, you are hilarious. just hilarious. if i do in fact decide to throw counseling out the window whilst i look for a husband, i'll definitely be giving jonny-boy a call. although i don't know that i'd want my last name to be piepkorn...

mel sutton said...

hey, piepkorn definitely has a ring to it. and, he lives in fiji. if you become a scuba instructor, we'll come visit and take lessons from you! actually, i'm scared of what's under the ocean. so i'll sit on the beach, and you, jonny-boy, and bob go out and have the time of your life!

Jessica said...

haha...you're hilarious, mel!! no ocean for you? i don't really like deep water either. i'd stay relatively close to the shore in this fantasy future we're creating!!